Monday, September 20, 2010

Greek tragedy Its not the finish of the underworld

How does one entertainment or even think about Greek tragedy in the benefaction melodramatic moment? In the age of botox, one competence disagree that the homogeneous of Greek masks are actors" faces solidified in expressions of neutrality rather than impassioned humerous entertainment or tragedy. In this bizarre digital era, in this epoch of luminary masks, how do we proceed the old stories, old stories built on one unique gesticulate seeking behind that undoes everything?

I wrote Eurydice partly since I was in love with the Greeks and felt that to find my approach behind in to the wholeness of Orpheus and Eurydice, the story had to be particularised and finished contemporary. So that the design of the incomparable parable remained, but inside of the myth, I embedded element that was personal, specific, roughly transparent.

I was additionally meddlesome in giving Eurydice a voice. Hundreds of artists have attempted to comparison their approach behind in to the Orpheus story, customarily from his point of view. But I"m meddlesome in any one who dies twice, and what her experience of failing was. And I wondered if Eurydice embodied language, since Orpheus embodied music. And I wondered who else she met in the underworld. And I wondered about the stones who were pronounced to cry when they initial listened Orpheuss music. I was meddlesome in what happens when the basis of the story spin signposts for a turf that is some-more unfamiliar.

So, the basis of the story: Eurydice and Orpheus get married. Eurydice dies. (Whether she is bitten by a lizard or chased by a demented shepherd, as in one version.) Orpheus comes down and sings the majority pleasing song for the shades until hes available entrance to the underworld. He takes Eurydice behind to earth on one condition that he not see back. We all know the rest...

And yet, the probable that most propagandize young kids dont know the story of Orpheus and Eurydice these days; or wouldnt in 100 years. Will they, then, still experience shivers of drumbeat when they see the story told? Call me a uncanny Jungian who believes in such bizarre things as the common unconscious, but I hold that the big stories will still be recognisable. Even when the old books have spin kindles, and the old songs have spin ringtones, even when we are buried underneath a little kind of rubble, I have a idea that the old stories will go on to be sung or told.

We appear to live in a enlightenment of allowance rather than of allusion. I think I"m captivated to parable in the entertainment since the cult of the particular seems sleepy at times; newness mostly seems similar to an illusion; and we are bigger together than we are alone.

I"m happy that the fool around is being finished with colour-blind cast of characters in this incarnation. Its an peculiar thing that when you"re an writer and occur to be white, unexpected there are customarily a garland of white people in your plays, notwithstanding the actuality that you"re essay plays in that raining elevators packet the passed to the afterlife, a medium that isnt quite revealing of any kind of ethnicity at all. (I think I was additionally captivated to the torture as a environment since I knew there would be no naturalistic vital room sets there.)

I"ve been meditative newly that Aristotelian make up could make use of some-more foe maybe what I competence call the Ovidian model, in that things spin in to alternative things. Ovid was the master of mutation gods branch in to swans, people branch in to trees. Ted Hughes translates the initial judgment of Metamorphoses as: Now I am ready to discuss it how bodies are altered in to opposite bodies. A stage formed on redundant mutation rather than one singular consummate competence additionally underline a wish in the revelation of the tale, and a clarity of warn and discovery, one competence even say, of magic. Perhaps the age of Harry Potter will additionally be the age of Ovid.

Eurydice, Young Vic, London SE1 (020 7922 2922; Youngvic.org) to 5 Jun




_______________________

that enables the make the most efficient use of their stored energy in the muscles • for acnebreaking dawntwilight sagamilkydry skinbridal gownshow to hairsuit imprimantefor acne

No comments:

Post a Comment